Aug 20th, 2019
With us in the episode is our special guest Sharon Hamersley. Sharon is the Principle Coach for The Resume Coach and has over 20 years’ experience helping individuals of all ages make a satisfying career decision or change. She's also a longtime supporter and volunteer of Employment For Seniors as well as the facilitator of all of the workshops the career workshops that we do here at Employment For Seniors.
Accomplishments and Skills
- Differentiating between job duties and accomplishments
- Job duty = what are the activities that the job requires, e.g. answering phones, greeting clients, preparing documents.
- Accomplishment = expected outcome of these required job activities. Also, any activity not necessarily specified in your job duties that benefit your company, clients, or co-workers.
- STAR Method
- Situation/Task (Opportunity or Challenge): describe the situation as you found it and the possible challenges or opportunities arising from it.
- Action: how did you address the opportunity or challenge? (Note: these actions validate your skill sets, e.g. problem-solving, communication, research, negotiation etc.)
- Result: what was the result of your actions? What was different or better? What impact did the result have for the company, clients, or co-workers?
- Quantity/Quality outcomes
- Quantity: easy to measure, e.g. total sales, widgets produced.
- Quality: more difficult to measure, focus on meeting or exceeding requirements for accuracy, timeliness, completeness, or improved/enhanced work environment and performance.
- “But I was just doing my job…” Have you ever:
- Done more with less?
- Seen and solved some problem others did not see?
- Started a new program or process?
- Managed a team? How many?
- Saved the company money?
- Been recognized for outstanding performance? Why?
This podcast is free to you and available on your favorite podcast player. If you have benefited from this podcast and would like to help us defray costs involved in producing the podcast, we welcome your support. Click here to donate via our safe and secure PayPal account.
Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or SubscribeOnAndroid.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD! We'd love it if you could please share this podcast with your social media friends!
Employment For Seniors is the premier resource linking mature adults with employment opportunities. EFS has provided career assistance and resources to nearly 30,000 clients, free of charge, over the past 45 years.
Our trained volunteer job counselors work with clients, prepare them for their job search, and connect them to employers through our job referral process. Local employers have found a highly skilled workforce by posting their positions, free of charge, on the EFS JobMatch system.
We look forward to working with you at Employment For Seniors! You can easily reach us at 614/863-1219 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.